Opening Remarks: Ken Daly
NACD by the Numbers
National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) President and CEO Ken Daly opened the second day of the annual NACD Board Leadership Conference with a status report of where the organization is now and where it is headed.
- 14,000: Number of NACD members.
- 75: Percentage of members who are public company directors (about 1,000 are full board members).
- 93: Percentage of member retention.
- 3,000: Participants in 2013 NACD education events.
- 10,000: Number of NACD webinar viewers.
- 1,000: Number of NACD Fellows.
- 22: Number of NACD chapters—5,500 people attended chapter events.
- 28: Pieces of intellectual capital NACD has produced this year.
- 4: Number of NACD advisory councils, which focused on board committees (audit, compensation, nom/gov, and risk).
NACD Directorship 2020™ is the main vehicle that NACD will use to drive conversation about the future of the boardroom. Directorship in 2020 and beyond will undoubtedly provide new opportunities and thus, will require innovative resources that directors must be prepared to embrace. NACD Directorship 2020 convened three meetings across the country this year that will inform the dialogue going forward, and more events are set for 2014.
Additionally, NACD is planning a meeting on capital markets which will convene institutional investors and directors to begin a dialogue about priorities for the future.