At nearly every NACD program addressing risk and strategy, mobile technology and cloud computing are part of the discussion—and not without reason. According to data from Forrester, 93 percent of Americans have mobile phones and 50 percent own smartphones.
Corporate directors, however, have tended to fall behind as adopters of new technology. Studies and articles bemoan directors’ use of social media, their need to place information technology at the top of boardroom priorities, and even go so far as to call boards “luddite.” In fact, the same Forrester research found that among those between 57 and 67 years old (the average director is 62), 89 percent have mobile phones but just 28 percent use smartphones.
Imagine our collective internal surprise when analysis showed that 20 percent of visits—one in five visitors—to NACD’s home website came from a mobile device. This is compared to the national average of 13 percent.
To provide a resource for our increasingly digital membership, NACD has developed an app: NACD Mobile. Because directors need the most up-to-date information and news both inside and outside of the boardroom, NACD Mobile conveniently culls content from our NACD Directors Daily news briefing, Directorship.com, and the NACD Board Leaders’ Blog. Also included with these articles are videos from NACD BoardVision and an upcoming education programming calendar.
The app is organized into several categories:
- Daily News: newsfeeds pulled from NACD Directors Daily and Directorship.com.
- Insights: articles, blog posts, and videos from Directorship.com, the NACD Board Leaders’ Blog, and NACD BoardVision.
- Categories: a way to drill down into the areas that interest you most, including compensation, board composition, and regulatory issues.
- Events: upcoming NACD in-person events, peer exchanges, and webinars.
- Resources: access to select NACD member benefits, including the ability to submit questions, find director candidates, and schedule a complimentary board consultation.
NACD Mobile is available for free download in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store by searching “NACD Mobile.” For a video tutorial, visit www.NACDonline.org/mobile. And while it is primarily designed for members, non-members will also have access to some features.